[mpich-discuss] [OMPI devel] BUG in ADIOI_NFS_WriteStrided

Eric Chamberland Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
Sun Dec 21 11:49:12 CST 2014

On 12/19/2014 09:52 PM, Rob Latham wrote:
> Please don't use NFS for MPI-IO.  ROMIO makes a best effort but
> there's no way to guarantee you won't corrupt a block of data (NFS

Ok.  But how can I know the type of filesystem my users will work on?
For small jobs, they may have data on NFS and don't car too much for
read/write speed... and I want only 1 file format that can be used on
any filesystem...

Do you recommend me to disable ROMIO/NFS support when configuring MPICH
(how do you ask this to configure?)?

What other library is recommend to use if I have to write distributed
data on NFS?  Does HDF5, for example, switches from MPI I/O to something
else when doing collective I/O on NFS?

I don't want to write a function to write to a file that depends on the
final type of filesystem...  I expect the library to do a good job for
me... and I have chosen MPI I/O do to that job... ;-)

> clients are allowed to cache... arbitrarily, it seems).  There are so
> many good parallel file systems with saner consistency semantics .

Can't tell anything about how NFS is usable or not with MPI I/O... I
Just use it because our nightly tests are writing results to NFS
partitions... as our users may do...

> This looks like maybe a calloc would clean it right up.

Ok, the point is: is there a bug, and can it be fixed (even if it is not
recommended to use ROMIO/NFS) or at least tracked?

Thanks!

Eric