[mpich-discuss] MPICH2-1.4 hangs on XP

Karl Broich karl_broich at t-online.de
Wed Feb 26 02:30:00 CST 2014

Hello,

I am trying to run dynamic process mangement using MPI4PY.

For first studies I used on Windows XP (dont laugh:-) :
- MPICH 1.4.1-p 32bit
- Mingw Gnu Fortran compiler with link libary libfmpich2g.a
- python 2.6 with MPI4PY
- test cases 1 : mandelbrot-master.py + mandelbrot-worker.f90 (I had to
replace "use mpi" with "mpif.h".)
- test case 2 : master.py + pi.py

I can run both testcases without errors or warnings, but the processes
hang. If I interupt, the following output is given. (Note: test without
dynamic process mangement  work well.)

I first assumed, that there is a problem with spawning/releasing the
processes from MPI4PY. But then Mr. Dalcin advised me to write a fortran
master for test case 1. I did this and noticed the same behaviour.
Therefore it is obviously a problem with MPICH2-installation.

Is this a known problem?
If yes, is there a solution?

Thank you very much in advance.
Karl