[mpich-discuss] Does mpich support zero-copy data transfers over ethernet (packet mmap)?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 07:57:11 CDT 2014

Hi,

We've recently conducted some tests showing that CPU overhead is
significant when sending/receiving data via TCP or UDP over 10GigE
cards on Linux (20-50% of an Ivy Bridge core clocked at 3Ghz).
A lot of time is spent copying data from kernel to user space and vice versa.

As we would like to avoid this overhead as far as possible, does
mpich2 support zero copy data transfer using packet mmap?

Thank you in advance, Clemens