[mpich-discuss] Increasing MPI ranks

Jeffrey Larson jmlarson at anl.gov
Tue Mar 11 16:08:50 CDT 2014

Hello,

I am using mpi4py to call MPI from python, and when I increase the number
of ranks at the command line so something like:

[jlarson at mintthinkpad test]$ mpiexec -n 30 python script.py

I receive the following error messages:

[mpiexec at mintthinkpad] handle_pmi_cmd (pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_cb.c:52):
Unrecognized PMI command:  | cleaning up processes
[mpiexec at mintthinkpad] control_cb (pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_cb.c:280): unable to
process PMI command
[mpiexec at mintthinkpad] HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event
(tools/demux/demux_poll.c:76): callback returned error status
[mpiexec at mintthinkpad] HYD_pmci_wait_for_completion
(pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_pmci.c:198): error waiting for event
[mpiexec at mintthinkpad] main (ui/mpich/mpiexec.c:336): process manager error
waiting for completion

When I search online for help with these error messages, I am only pointed
towards the repository containing the files that are themselves throwing
the error. For example: Googling for "handle_pmi_cmd Unrecognized PMI
command" only returns:

https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/mpi/mpich2/tags/release/mpich2-1.3a1/src/pm/hydra/pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_cb.c

Note that my script is using very few resources; each rank is spawning a
simple external function. The function takes a vector and then sums all the
entries, squares them, and returns the number to each rank. The script
works as expected when the number of initial ranks is small.

Thank you for your help.
Jeffrey Larson