[mpich-discuss] Trouble building with PGI and IB

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 07:42:24 CDT 2015

First, try MPICH 3.1+ not MPICH2, which is very old at this point.

Second, if PGI's C compiler chokes on MPICH, use GCC's instead.  And
you can still use PGI's C++ and Fortran compilers to build those
language bindings.  As C is designed for ABI interoperability, unlike
C++ or Fortran, this is perfectly fine.

So, in the following, just change to CC=gcc and you should be fine.
GCC won't understand "-tp=nehalem-64" so you may need to remove that
from CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, but you might as well remove it completely,
because it will have no effect on the C++ or Fortran bindings.

Jeff

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Martin Cuma <martin.cuma at utah.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build MPICH2 with PGI compilers (15.1) and
> -with-device=ch3:nemesis:ib
> and I am getting errors during the compilation.
>
> Here's how I configure MPICH:
> setenv CC pgcc
> setenv CXX pgCC
> setenv FC pgf90
> setenv F77 pgf90
> setenv FC pgf90
>  setenv FFLAGS   "-tp=nehalem-64"
>  setenv FCFLAGS  "-tp=nehalem-64"
>  setenv CFLAGS   "-tp=nehalem-64"
>  setenv CXXFLAGS "-tp=nehalem-64"
>  setenv LDFLAGS  "-tp=nehalem-64"
>
> ../../../srcdir/mpich/3.1.4/configure
> --prefix=/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/sys/installdir/mpich/3.1.4p --enable-romio
> --with-file-system=nfs+ufs --with-mpe -with-device=ch3:nemesis:ib
> --enable-fast=all --enable-threads=runtime
>
> There are multiple errors like:
> PGC-S-0060-immed_len is not a member of this struct or union
> (../../../srcdir/mpich/3.1.4/src/mpid/ch3/channels/nemesis/netmod/ib/ib_poll.c:
> 1847)
>
> Before I spam the list with more details, I'd like to first ask if anyone
> has experience with building MPICH with PGI and IB device, or if I am doing
> something wrong with the configuration.
>
> Note that MPICH builds fine with PGI and tcp and also the IB builds fine
> with our other supported compilers (Intel and GNU).
>
> Thanks,
> MC
>
> --
> Martin Cuma