[mpich-discuss] mpi_scatter

Jen B jenbna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 10:24:26 CST 2015

Hello,

I am trying to understand how the mpi_scatter is implemented according to
MPICH2 for long messages. I went through the paper of R. Thakur, et al.,
titled "Optimization of Collective Communication Operations in MPICH." It
is stated there that for long messages mpi_bcast is composed of scatter and
allgather (where latter two are based on the Van de Geijn's algorithm).
However I wasn't able to find the mpi_scatter details. Could you please
explain this? Also, the another thing is that I think for long messages
(that are not divisible exactly by the number of processes) this part would
use a scatterv + allgatherv. Am I right? Thank you!

Best,
Jen