[mpich-discuss] Memory alignment with MPI_Alloc_mem

Balaji, Pavan balaji at anl.gov
Sun Feb 15 15:54:20 CST 2015

There's no generic way in MPICH to do that, but we could add an info argument for such hints.  For the Cray MPT, you'll need to check with the Cray folks.

We have a ticket requesting this feature:

	https://trac.mpich.org/projects/mpich/ticket/1526

  -- Pavan

> On Feb 14, 2015, at 4:37 PM, Marcin Zalewski <marcin.zalewski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am using Cray MPT, and I would like to allocate a large region of
> memory from which, in turn, I will allocate buffers to be used with
> MPI. I am wondering if there is any benefit from allocating that heap
> with MPI_Alloc_mem. I would hope that it could be pre-registered for
> RDMA, speeding things up. However, I need this memory to have a
> specific alignment. Is there a general way in MPICH or maybe a
> specific way for MPT to request alignment with MPI_Alloc_mem?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcin

Pavan Balaji  ✉️
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji