[mpich-discuss] MPI_Allreduce is slow for 7 processes or more

Ken Raffenetti raffenet at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 5 02:08:46 CDT 2015

On 05/05/2015 05:03 AM, David Froger wrote:
> I did not tried mpich3.2b2 yet (will do tomorrow), but I've ask another
> question here, just on the time to execute MPI_Barrier:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30039802/what-control-mpi-barrier-time-to-execute
>
> Seems that that was why `bench_mpi.cxx` was slow.
The underlying issue is that recent MPICH causes processes to busy poll
for incoming messages. In over-subscription scenarios, this can have
significant performance implications. There is a ongoing work to address
the busy polling issue for MPICH 3.3. In the interim, our advice is to
not oversubscribe processes for the available hardware resources.

Ken