[mpich-discuss] mpif77 -f77=gfortran

Andreas Gocht andreas.gocht at tu-dresden.de
Wed Feb 17 02:43:34 CST 2016

Hi Ken

thanks for the explanation. I just wondered as according to the man page
the -f77 is valid. Yet I didn't recognize that there is just a link in
my case to mpifort. Is it probably an Idea to mention this behavior in
the man page?

Best Andreas

Am 16.02.2016 um 22:38 schrieb Kenneth Raffenetti:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> In MPICH 3.2, if configure detects your F77 and FC compilers are the
> same, a single mpifort compiler wrapper is built. Symlinks for mpif77
> and mpif90 are maintained, but in your case are not fully backwards
> compatible. The newer mpifort does not recognize -f77. It should
> recognize -fc, however.
>
> Ken
>
> On 02/16/2016 06:17 AM, Andreas Gocht wrote:
>> Hey there
>>
>> I tired to compile a program using autotools. I realized that during the
>> configure autotools is trying to compile "mpif77 -f77=gfortran -c -g
>> conftest.f". The compilation fails with:
>>
>> configure:18975: mpif77 -f77=gfortran -c -g conftest.f >&5
>> gfortran: error: unrecognized command line option '-f77=gfortran'
>> configure:18975: $? = 1
>> configure: failed program was:
>> |       program main
>> |
>> |       end
>> configure:18983: result: no
>>
>> witch leads the whole configure to fail.
>>
>> I tried to compile the sample program on the command line unsing "mpif77
>> -f77=gfortran test.f" and I got the same result (test.f containing just
>> "program main \n \n end").
>> According to the man page of MPICH v3.2 "-f77" should choose the used
>> Fortran compiler? It looks like the option is passed to fortran itself?
>> I tried it with MPICH v3.2 as well as with the latest version form the
>> git. MPICH 3.1 is working fine.
>> Has there something changed between MPICH 3.1 and 3.2?
>>
>> Best Andreas

M.Sc. Andreas Gocht

Technische Universität Dresden
Center for Information Services and