[mpich-discuss] mpif77 -f77=gfortran

Andreas Gocht andreas.gocht at tu-dresden.de
Tue Feb 16 06:17:19 CST 2016

Hey there

I tired to compile a program using autotools. I realized that during the
configure autotools is trying to compile "mpif77 -f77=gfortran -c -g
conftest.f". The compilation fails with:

configure:18975: mpif77 -f77=gfortran -c -g conftest.f >&5
gfortran: error: unrecognized command line option '-f77=gfortran'
configure:18975: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
|       program main
|
|       end
configure:18983: result: no

witch leads the whole configure to fail.

I tried to compile the sample program on the command line unsing "mpif77
-f77=gfortran test.f" and I got the same result (test.f containing just
"program main \n \n end").
According to the man page of MPICH v3.2 "-f77" should choose the used
Fortran compiler? It looks like the option is passed to fortran itself?
I tried it with MPICH v3.2 as well as with the latest version form the
git. MPICH 3.1 is working fine.
Has there something changed between MPICH 3.1 and 3.2?

Best Andreas

--
M.Sc. Andreas Gocht

Technische Universität Dresden