[mpich-discuss] Is it okay to remove F77 support?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 27 21:26:57 CST 2021

Oh Mr. Hammond, you guys are just die-hards, insisting to defend what you
just did,
namely alarm your community of users with your terribly phrased question.

The original question, at the very subject line of the email,
was very poorly formulated, and suggested the end of mpi.f and such,
which are essential in code written in all sorts of
Fortran-77 code (and various F77 extensions) that abound
among your users.
Don't you care about these users (us)?

Being pedantic, belittling your users alarm after your horrible question,
or berating your users knowledge of what is and what is not strict F77 ISO
standard
doesn't help at all.
After all, we, your users, in one way or another,
as taxpayers and in other ways,
support the development of publicly available high quality
software in national labs, such as mpich, expecting that it will
be useful and usable, and work together (not against) the codes we have.
So presumably we  deserve a little better.

The bad question triggered a whole discussion,
which subsequent answers showed to be a discussion about nothing.
Period.

Jeff Squyres pointed out that it was never possible to build
MPI with a compiler strictly adherent to Fortran-77 ISO standard.

So, why, as the initial question asked, do you need to remove
support for something that never existed to begin with?
Why do you need to ask this non-question to the community,
and raise the false alarm?
Huh.

Indeed, I never paid much attention to that,
but admittedly I have been compiling OpenMPI, MPICH and MVAPICH
all with F90 compilers (gfortran, pgfortran, ifort), although often
times using their Fortran-77 versions (with extensions to the ISO standard
I suppose),
to compile code that depends on
Many of those codes do depend on mpi.f, won't work with F90 modules (or
'use mpi').
I guess this is not unique at all, and a lot of the code base out there,
in various areas of knowledge, works this way.
The original question clearly suggested suppressing this possibility.

Gus Correa