[mpich-discuss] MPICH Test Suite - limit number of processes

Max R. Dechantsreiter max at performancejones.com
Sun Jan 15 08:09:19 CST 2023

Thank you for your suggestion.

However, I did not see how to carry it through; perhaps one
day I will comb through the User's Guide.

Instead I ran 'make testing' to completion on four cores:
elapsed time was 2h36m53s on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4
(2.10GHz); all but two tests passed, with the two that did
not pass simply timing out (after 180s).

Then I ran it again after modifying "runtests" thus:

sed -i 's/^$ppnMax  = -1;/$ppnMax  = 4;/' $RUNTESTS
sed -i 's/^$np_max     = -1;/$np_max     = 4;/' $RUNTESTS

where RUNTESTS=~test/mpi/runtests.  (Alternatively these
variables could be modified in $RUNTESTS.in before prior to
building MPICH.)

Changing those variables limited the maximum number of
processes to 4 as desired.  The salient issues were the
warnings 'Number of processors must divide 10' that I
presume could be avoided by setting $np_max=2 or 5; the
number of tests affected was relatively small: 13 of 2524
tests failed, with no test timing out.  Elapsed time was
1h04m28s - so the savings in time was significant but not
spectacular, suggesting that relatively few tests in the
original run oversubscribed the cores available in my VPS.